- 1 packet cut okra/1/4-1/2 kg ladies finger cut into little big pieces(sambhar pieces)
- 1/2 onion cut lengthwise
- 2 green chilies cut lengthwise
- 1/2-3/4 tsp tamarind paste/3" tamarind soaked in 1cup water and then squeezing tamarind we get our tamarind extract from this.
- 1 small tomato cut into big pieces
- 1" jaggary(optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-11/2 tsp sambhar powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup toor dal cooked in pressure cooker
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- pinch of hing
- curry leaves
- coriander leaves for garnishing
Take a sambhar pan,put oil and all seasoning .when mustard spluttering add onion,green chilies and fry till onion turns light brown.
let it cook for 2 more minutes stirring in between and then add tamarind paste,remaining salt and let the okra cook properly .
this tamarind paste,tomatoes and oil makes the okra less sticky.
Finally add cooked dal,sambhar powder and if you want to use coconut,grind sambhar powder and coconut together into smooth paste.some don't like tomatoes to bit then you can add tomatoes while grinding.add water to suite your sambhar consistency and let the sambhar boil for 5 more minutes.so that all raw smells go from sambhar and smell and taste of spices makes sambhar really good.Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve this with hot plain rice.