Maharashtrian Cuisine------Shrikhand(sweet dish)

          

This is a very healthy and yummy dessert too.Healthy because it is made out of yogurt/curd and not needed much ghee in it.the procedure is easy too.

My cooking is very much influenced by Maharashtrian cuisine,as from my birth till my graduation we were in Nagpur(Maharashtra) and then moved to Bangalore.I like Maharashtrian recipes and miss some of the authentic dishes very much.My mom and my sister makes very good Maharashtrian dishes  and i try to learn many recipes .This is one of our families favourite dish,which my mom used to make in some special occasions.I love eating  this with chapatti's or puri's.Maharastrian dishes are not much rich,they are healthy and tasty too.

Shrikhand have many varieties,you can make kesar shrikhand,badam-pista shrikhand ,Amarkhand(using mango) and fruit shrikhand.

Here below i have shown Badam0Pista Shrikhand:

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of curd(i make at home with 2% milk)/store bought yogurt 
  • 1-1 and 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup sour cream(optional)
  • 1/2 cup of badam and pista
  • roasted raisins and cashews(optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
  • pinch of salt
  • saffron soaked in 2 tsp warm milk
Method:

Take a clean washed cheese cloth. put the yogurt into the muslin cloth ,tie a knot and hung it overnight so that all water falls away from the yogurt and thick sour cream is remaining.this is called hung curd.



Next morning take this hung curd,remove it into a bowl.
Grind sugar,cardamon,1/2 of pista and badam together to make fine powder.


Mix this with hung yogurt,kesar, sour cream and salt .mix it nicely and garnish/decorate shrikhand with remaining badam and pista ,cashews and raisins pieces. the sweetness of the shrikhand depends upon your taste,so check and add accordingly.You can Make Shrikhand using only sour cream too and that will be very instant also.


To make Amarkhand you have to mix mango pulp in this and your amarkhand is ready.
for fruit shrikhand you can use different fruits,grapes goes very well.
serve this shrikahand as a dessert or a side dish for the chapatti's/puri.


Comments

  1. I remember having this from Sandhya's place recently and my hubby missed it that time. Since then I had been promising him that I will make it for him but till now it didnt happen. Now that I have a clear recipe I can try if it comes good. I too love it as you said its healthy type.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ajethna/Thal[Mangalore Cuisine]---------- Mixed Vegetable Dry curry

Karnataka Special---------Vegetable Bhath(rice)

Samosa